Tristan Cannon is a transactional attorney, specializing in, among other things, business and real property law. Mr. Cannon’s clients are typically mid to large publicly and privately held companies, including, but not limited to: aircraft manufacturers; radio stations; hotels, casino, and resort operators; time share companies; venture capitalists; real estate developers; manufacturers; haute couture designers; construction companies; internationally renowned pool designers; thoroughbred horse owners; furniture designers and manufacturers; printers; freight haulers; and medical professionals. Mr. Cannon has been directly involved in structuring numerous mergers and acquisitions, asset securitizations, corporate restructurings and structuring credit lines and facilities for clients. Mr. Cannon pioneered the first use of credit enhancements to securitize non-traditional real estate and credit assets for (Wall Street) bond transactions, ultimately providing over $1 billion dollars of capitalized financing for clients.
- Structured revolving warehouse credit facilities secured by automobile and timeshare receivables;
- Pioneered first Wall Street mortgage backed security transaction (AAA rating) involving timeshare mortgages;
- Supervised subsequent numerous mortgage backed securitizations involving timeshare mortgages;
- Devised program for collection and pooling of automobile loans in credit enhanced securitized offerings; coordinate legal structure with placement agent counsel.
2. Mergers and Acquisitions
- Engineered complex management buyback of subsidiary from bankrupt NYSE parent involving use of subordinated debt and assumption of debt; negotiate and draft creditor committee and sales documents;
- Led primary outside and lead counsel in sale of diversified real estate development and marketing corporation to NYSE corporation.
- Supervised internal due diligence and coordinated expert professionals with opposing counsel, supervised document review; coordinated all local counsel opinions; structured layered debt payment, devised novel earnout program incorporating contingent bonuses for management;
- Performed numerous corporate and asset sale transactions including asset and company acquisition in aircraft industry, negotiated payout program for dissenting shareholders; structured purchase price payout
3. Real Estate
- Restructured and spun-off national hotel franchise operation; performed real property due diligence, lease negotiation and property acquisitions;
- Supervised general real estate practice; handled leases, raw and developed property acquisition and dispositions, environmental assessment and strategy coordination;
- Acted as lead attorney in acquisition of real properties (both developed and raw land) for development as resort condominiums, including hotel and condo conversions. Direct involvement in purchase negotiations, transaction structure, permit review and construction documentation.
- Devised “just in time” real estate inventory delivery program.
- Represented over 20 different homeowners associations from formation through subsidy disputes and governance
4. Corporate Planning
- Structured many corporate organizations including parent/subsidiary corporate organization in $100M+ corporation involving numerous affiliate entities and holding company developed for investment and recapitalization purposes;
- Implemented phantom (“SAR”) stock incentive program, employee compensation, option and incentive programs.
Mr. Cannon received his undergraduate degree from the University of Utah, 1976 (cum laude) and his Juris Doctorate from the University of San Diego in 1980. He has been a guest lecturer at the University of Utah Entrepreneurial Center and an advisor for numerous boards of directors.